CRT Welcomes Senators Murphy and Blumenthal, Rep. Larson to Promote Passage of American Families Plan
On Thursday, May 6, 2021, CRT welcomed both Senator Chris Murphy and Senator Richard Blumenthal, as well as U.S. Representative John Larson and Hartford Mayor Luke Bronin to CRT’s headquarters in Hartford to discuss the importance of passing the ambitious American Families Plan proposed by President Joe Biden.
The work that CRT does every day is exactly what the American Families Plan is designed to accomplish: helping individuals AND families access resources that will help end the cycle of poverty.
Last year, CRT served 20,981 households and over 44,000 individuals throughout Central Connecticut.
- 79% of the households served by CRT’s programs and services are between Zero and 200% of the federal poverty limit.
- 27% of those households we serve are single parent households.
- 33% are employed either full or part time, while 45% are unemployed.
Under the American Families Plan there are tremendous opportunities that would be passed along to the families that CRT serves, such as:
- Providing four additional years of free education by providing Universal Pre-K schooling to ALL three- and four-year-olds;
- Ensuring childcare is affordable to all low- and middle-income families;
- Increasing funding for nutrition assistance and healthy school meals;
- Extending tax cuts for families with children and American workers, and expansion of the Child Tax Credit from $2,000 per child to $3,000 per child for six-years old and above, and $3,600 per child for children under six.
That last item is tremendous. Can you imagine how this would benefit parents? Families would receive regular payments that allow them to cover household expenses as they arise.
CRT thanks our Senators and Congressman for their hard work protecting families here in our state, and across the country.
Pictured above (left to right): U.S. Senator Chris Murphy, CRT’s CEO Lena Rodriguez and U.S. Senator Richard Blumenthal.
Trackbacks & Pingbacks
[…] We also highlight a recent visit from members of Connecticut’s Congressional delegation to CRT’s offices where they touted the importance of passing the American Families Plan. […]
Comments are closed.