Get Free Help Filing Your Taxes
Do you need help completing and filing your 2020 Federal and State tax return?
With the arrival of tax season, and with changes to the federal tax code, we don’t want anyone to stress out about doing their taxes this year!
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) is available now!
CRT Offers VITA services at the following locations:
- Hartford County at 330 Market St., Hartford
- Middlesex County at 32 Washington St., Middletown
The procedure is as follows.
- Customers may pick up a VITA intake packet and return envelope in the front entrance of 330 Market St. Hartford, or from staff at 32 Washington St., Middletown.
- Customers should complete the intake packet, gather supporting/required documents, and return their information to the appropriate site. (The attachment lists documents needed from customers to complete their taxes.)
- CRT Staff & Trained Volunteers will complete customer taxes.
- Once the customer’s taxes are completed, staff will arrange an appointment with the customer to come in to the office to review and sign their tax return(s).
NOTE: Social-distancing protocols are in effect at all CRT offices, and masks must be worn inside offices.
Get more information in this news report on Fox 61.
To Apply for Help with Your 2020 Taxes
No application is needed. Just call to make an appointment. Days and hours vary.
Please bring the following paperwork to your meeting:
- Photo ID
- Social Security card
- Last year’s tax return
- Proof of Health Insurance coverage
- For direct deposit of your tax refund, a check or savings account number with routing number from the check
- If filing jointly, both you and your spouse need to be present to sign the form
- Paperwork showing property tax payments (home and auto)
- General income paperwork: W-2, W-2G, 1099–INT, SSA-1099R, 1099–DIV, 1099-G
- If a homeowner, alimony received, 1099-MISC, 1099-B, and 1099-R
Make an appointment to complete your taxes at 330 Market Street in Hartford or 32 Washington Street in Middletown.
It Isn’t Too Soon to Start Thinking about Tax Season Next Year
CRT has trained volunteers to help you prepare and file your basic federal and state tax returns, at no cost to you. Tax forms are completed with guidance and support provided by certified staff. Then your tax return will be filed electronically from CRT at no cost to you! Refunds are generally received within two weeks when filed online.
Staff and volunteers are trained and certified by the IRS each tax season. CRT helps individuals and families with incomes under $52,000. Income must be from public benefits, wages, alimony or child support. Individuals and families with investment property are not eligible.
VITA Tax Savings Really Add Up!
In 2019, CRT helped 840 people complete their 2018 tax returns* (state and federal) through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program.
- Of that total (840), 312 (37%) were eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit.
- The total value of tax refunds and tax preparation savings for those individual filers last year was worth more than $3 million!
- The average tax refund and tax preparation savings per person is valued at $3,584.
Over the past 17 years that CRT has offered VITA services to tax payers in Central Connecticut, the agency has completed more than 27,000 tax returns, with nearly 42% receiving the Earned Income Tax Credit.
The total value of tax refunds and tax preparation savings during that time is equal to $82,175,892!
For more information
VITA Free Tax Preparation Center
330 Market Street, Hartford
Office Hours: Tue and Thu 9 am – 5 pm
*Electronic-filing only – Total does not include paper returns.
Funding provided by:
Optional Footer Area
WE BELIEVE IN HOPE.
For over 50 years, CRT has helped people in Central Connecticut lift their quality of life. Whether you need help now or are looking to build a more secure future, we can help with housing, food, energy bills, recovery, jobs, childcare, veterans services and much more.
Call us today at (860) 560-5600, and let’s build a better future together.