Hartford – Do you need help completing and filing your 2020 federal and state tax return? The Community Renewal Team (CRT) has free help in Hartford County and Middlesex County with the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program now through Tax Day on April 15, 2021.
CRT offers VITA services at the following locations:
- Hartford County at 330 Market St., Hartford
- Middlesex County at 44 Hamlin St., Middletown
Tax returns are filed electronically from CRT at no cost to the consumer. Refunds are generally received within two to three weeks when filed online.
The VITA program offers free tax help to:
- People (households) who generally make $57,000 or less;
- Persons with disabilities; and
- Limited English-speaking taxpayers who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns.
To use the VITA tax preparation services with CRT, please follow the information below:
- Customers may pick up a VITA intake packet and return envelope in the front entrance of CRT’s offices at 330 Market St. Hartford, or from staff at 44 Hamlin St., Middletown.
- Customers should complete the intake packet, gather supporting/required documents (see list below), and return their information to the appropriate site.
- CRT staff & trained volunteers will complete customer taxes.
- Once the customer’s taxes are completed, staff will arrange an appointment with the customer to come in to the office* to review and sign their tax return(s). If filing jointly, both you and your spouse need to be present to sign the form.
*NOTE: Social-distancing protocols are in effect at all CRT offices, and masks must be worn inside offices.
Here is the documentation that you will need to complete your 2020 taxes:
- Photo ID
- Social Security card
- A copy of last year’s tax return, if you did not use CRT VITA service last year
- Form 1095 A, proof of health insurance coverage, if your coverage is through the state marketplace
- For direct deposit of your tax refund, a check or savings account number with routing number from the check
- Paperwork showing property tax payments (home and auto), if applicable
- General income paperwork: W-2, W-2G, 1099–INT, SSA-1099R, 1099–DIV, 1099-G
- Alimony received, 1099-MISC, 1099-B, and 1099-R
VITA Tax Savings Really Add Up!
- In 2019, CRT helped 840 people complete their 2018 tax returns (state and federal) through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program.
- Of that total (840), 312 (37%) were eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit.
- The total value of tax refunds and tax preparation savings for those individual filers in 2019 was worth more than $3 million!
- The average tax refund and tax preparation savings per person is valued at $3,584.
- Over the past 17 years that CRT has offered VITA services to tax payers in Central Connecticut, the agency has completed more than 27,000 tax returns, with nearly 42% receiving the Earned Income Tax Credit.
- The total value of tax refunds and tax preparation savings during the past 17 years is equal to $82,175,892!
Make an appointment to complete your taxes at 330 Market Street in Hartford or 44 Hamlin Street in Middletown.
For more information, please visit the VITA page.